Creating and deleting a disk¶
At the Create server screen, it is possible to create a disk together with a server. It is also possible to create new disks for expansion and delete disks which have been removed from a server. This section explains procedures for creating or deleting individual disks, as well as procedures for connecting to a server.
- Click [Disk] in the [Storage] category in the menu on the left of the control panel. A list is displayed showing disks which exist in the currently selected zones. When creating a new disk, click the [Add] button on the top right of the screen.
- The screen for creating a new disk is displayed. Enter the required items.
|Disk plan(*)||Select either [SSD Plan] or [Standard Plan] for the disk plan.
*The fees and creatable disk capacity differ depending on the selected disk plan and creation destination region.
|Disk interface(*)||Select either [IDE] or [VirtIO] for the disk interface provided to the OS by the virtual infrastructure.
*The majority of recent Linux operating systems support the VirtIO interface which has smaller overhead and high performance. Therefore, select VirtIO. If you are using old versions of Linux or operating systems which do not support part of VirtIO, please select IDE, which has high compatibility.
|Disk source(*)||Select [Disk], [Archive] (archive which is provided by our company and has prerecorded Linux disk images, etc.), or [My Archive] (an archive created by the customer) to display a related pop-up menu showing selectable items. At the pop-up menu, it is possible to copy and use existing disks or archives to create a new disk.
When creating an empty disk, select [Blank].
|Disk size (*)||Specify the size of the disk that you want to create.
*The selectable disk size differs depending on the disk plan or creation destination region.
|Connection destination server||You can select the server to which you want to connect the disk being created. If no server is selected, a disk is created without any connection to a server.
*It is not possible to select a server which is currently running.
|Storage separation||When checked, a pop-up menu for selecting an existing disk is displayed. It is possible to assign to separate storage from the specified disk.
This is convenient if you want to increase resistance to failure by assigning disks connected to the same server to separate storage.
|Name||Specify the disk name.|
|Description/tag/icon||Similar to other resources, it is possible to sort disks into easy-to-understand categories depending on purpose and usage.|
Required items are denoted by an asterisk (*).
After entry is complete, click the [Create] button at the bottom of the screen to start creating a disk.
You can connect/disconnect the disk to/from the server at the server management screen.
The disk can only be connected/disconnected when the server has been shut down.
- Click [Server] at the menu on the left of the control panel. A list is displayed showing disks which exist in the currently selected zones. Double-click the server to/from which you want to connect/disconnect the disk.
- The server details screen is displayed. Click the [Disk] tab at the top of the screen.
- A list is displayed showing disks which are currently connected to the server. To disconnect a disk which is currently connected, click the “▼” arrow on the right of the list and select [Disconnect] from the menu that is displayed.
- If you want to add a disk, click the [Connect] button at the bottom right of the screen. The disk selection screen is displayed for disks which are not currently connected to a server. Select a disk which you want to connect to the server. Also, selecting [Create New Disk] will navigate to the screen for adding a disk. At this screen, it is possible to create a new disk for connecting to the applicable server.
A maximum of three disks can be connected to one server.
When deleting a disk, insert a check into the checkbox for the disk that you want to delete at the disk list screen and then click the [Delete] button at the top right of the screen. It is not possible to delete a disk that is currently connected to a server. Therefore, it is necessary to disconnect the disk in advance.
It is not possible to recover a disk that has been deleted. Be very careful when deleting a disk.